Monday, February 14, 2011

Because it's Valentine's Day.


Ahhhh Valentines Day. If you re dating someone, you love this day. If you re single, you hate it. And if you re a boy, then you hate it no matter what your relationship status is. I have mixed feelings about this holiday. While I think its great to buy your significant other a present and do something special for them, I often feel that it can be forced. Like its something you think that you have to do instead of something that you want to do. That's just not right. Here are my thoughts on this day of love. We'll start with the bad and end with the good.


The bad: I think that Valentines Day can get a little out of hand. People get all caught up in if they have someone to share it with or not, that they miss the meaning of it. I think this day is just to show other people how much you love and care for them. Whether it be your bestfriend, your parents, or siblings. The gift part also bothers me too. I do not like all the cliche valentines presents. The cheesy Hallmark cards, teddy bears, and boxes of chocolates can all collect dust in the store for all I care. I want to give and receive something meaningful on Valentines Day. Not something that says "I just went to Wal-mart and bought the first thing I saw, and many other people will also be getting the exact same thing as I gave you". No. If you are going to get your partner something you better make it meaningful. Even if its just a hand written letter or their favorite DVD. Giving someone something personalized tells them that you are thinking about them and truly love them, instead of just picking up something lame at the store. While we're on the subject of presents, lets talk flowers. Some girls love them, some girls hate them. I personally LOVE flowers. I think they are beautiful and I would not mind getting flowers every day for the rest of my life. Although my favorite flowers are colorful Gerber Daisies, on this holiday I love getting red roses. I think red roses have a special meaning behind them. They are a symbol of love. Maybe its just because they're red, or because they are so gorgeous. Either way, I love them.


Another bad thing about Valentines Day is I think it is a lot of pressure on guys to do something special. They are expected to plan some wild, crazy, romantic night or get expensive, elaborate gifts. I do not think this is what the holiday is all about. Guys should not feel forced to do any of these things. Couples should plan something special to do together and not make it such a big deal (in my opinion).


The good: I think Valentines Day is a good excuse for couples to do something special together that they may not otherwise have time to do. You can get all dressed up and go out to eat, or do something special and low key at home. The best Valentines Day I ever had was when my boyfriend made me my favorite dinner and served it to me on the dining room table complete with candles and everything. It was so cute and romantic and spontaneous and unexpected. I felt like he did it because he wanted too, bot because he thought he had too. It was also way more special than going out to eat because it was just the two of us.


I think this day is very important because it gives you a chance to tell your partner and friends how much they mean to you. This can be a very good thing especially if you are really busy and don't normally get the chance to spend some alone time with your partner. Valentines Day can be a special day like an anniversary is. Just don't exaggerate it too much.

Now don't get me wrong, i do like Valentine's day. I just think it can be a little overrated sometimes and really isn't all that it is hyped up to be. I'm just glad that I have someone special to share this silly day with. :)

Happy Valentines Day friends.
The lovely roses my sweet boyfriend sent me. Thanks buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment