Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Be a Friend.


The thing about me is, I see people from the outside in. Everyone is going through something. They make keep it all inside, and never let their emotions show, but even the happiest person in the world is dealing with something. I beleive that everyone has their struggles that they are going through, and they only choose what they want you to see. So I try not to judge people. Thats why I smile at everyone. That may be the only smile they see all day. We are all humans, and we need to take care of each other. I want everyone to have a friend, so I am nice to everyone. My roommates joke about how I am like a mother duck, and I just take all these people under my wings. Maybe Im like that because I dont want people to go through what I did last year. Or maybe I just want to reach out to people and be their friend. Whatever the motive, I want to be the reason that turns people's bad day into a good one.
When I meet someone for the first time, I take everything about them in. What they are wearing, how they act, the tone that they talk in, their body motions, posture, everything. Then I analyze it all and after talking with someone for a few minutes, I can normally tell you down to a degree, what that person is like. I can probably tell you things about their personality, events that have happened in their past, and how they were raised. I have this sixth sense about people, and I think that is why I really want to work with people. I get people. I understand people.
In high school I was that girl that everyone came to for advice. Boys would come talk to me about their girl problems, and anything else that they knew they couldnt tell their guy friends. Girls would come and talk to me about anything and everything. I knew secrets about everyone. I liked people coming to me and telling me their problems. I liked picking their brain and helping them understand the situation they were in better. If they asked my opinion, I would give it to them. If they wanted advice, I would tell them what they should do. Otherwise, I just listened. I liked helping people with their problems. I felt so honored that these people would trust me with their deepest problems, and then for me to be able to help them out of sticky situations, was so rewarding.

Senior year, one of my best friends went through something very traumatic. When they called and asked if they could come to my house and talk, I knew it was serious. The fact that they came to me first and trusted me with this information, meant so much to my friendship with that person. I didnt tell a single soul about that conversation. I was so glad that they came to me, and even though I could not really help, I knew I could comfort them and be there for them, and to me that is the best feeling in the world.
 People need people. That sounds awkward, but its true. We were made to be interactive with others. There was a study done where newborns were put in seperate cribs and were comepletely isolated from others. They were fed on a regular basis and had their diapers changed, but they received no social interaction at all. No one talked to the babies, loved on them, or even made eye contact with them. It didnt take long before all of the babies died. Why? They were getting the nutrients they needed to survive. They were not getting the love that they needed to grow. We are engineered from the very beginning to be social. So be nice to the weirdo you sit next to everyday. Talk to them. Learn about their story. Be a friend. It could change your life, if you let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment